We are looking for a Senior WASH Programme Manager – West Africa
36 hours per week – based in The Hague, The Netherlands
To strengthen our market development team, we are looking for a French speaking Senior WASH Programme Manager – West Africa.
The approach of Aqua for All’s market development team is to support small and medium enterprises (SMEs) to deliver sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) services. We do this by providing catalytic funding for acceleration programmes, direct grants and technical assistance that support SMEs to become technically and financially sustainable and investment ready. Find more details on our website: https://aquaforall.org/
The Senior WASH Programme Manager is responsible for providing technical advice and strategic direction to catalyse and scale market-based approaches in WASH service delivery. With an in depth technical expertise, you will support SMEs to achieve sustainability, scale and investment readiness. You possess a clear vision of the WASH market and sector, with the ability to translate your vision into a strategy. You will mainly be responsible, but not limited to, leading our portfolio in West Africa through developing networks, partnerships and co-creation of impactful interventions. As a senior member of the WASH market development team, you will provide coaching, mentorship, knowledge sharing, motivation, and direction to the team, fostering their professional growth and effectiveness. The Senior WASH Programme Manager reports to the Lead Market Development.
Result areas and responsibilities
1. Technical Expertise and Strategic Direction
Demonstrate a deep understanding of technical, political and regulatory aspects within the WASH sector, including emerging technologies and trends.
• Hold thematic expertise in safe water enterprises, market-based sanitation approaches, mobilising access to finance for WASH; and foster knowledge sharing within the team.
• Conduct thorough market analysis to identify gaps, opportunities, and potential challenges, and develop strategies accordingly, with a focus on West Africa.
2. Programme Development and Implementation
• Identify and drive impactful initiatives to build a pipeline of opportunities to be supported by Aqua for All
• Support SMEs / partners with the co-creation of projects, ensuring they align with Aqua for All’s vision and goals
• Provide expert opinions in the review of proposals considering sustainability, suitable technology, business models, market potential, scalability and investability
• Oversee programme design, implementation and completion including sourcing, selecting, budgeting, contracting, project monitoring and impact management. Provide guidance and mentorship to other team members
• Provide support and expert technical advice to social enterprises to prove concepts, develop business models, reach scale, financial sustainability and investment readiness.
3. Stakeholder Engagement, Relationship Building and Business Development
• Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders, including government entities, NGOs, foundations, research institutions, impact investors, and private sector partners.
• Collaborate with key partners to drive initiatives that strengthen systems and promote an enabling environment for a market-based approach to WASH service delivery.
4. Impact Measurement and Knowledge Development
• Support partners and the Aqua for All team to develop key performance indicators, monitoring frameworks and track impact, including the use of management information systems.
• Thought leader within the market team, sharing insights, lessons learned, and best practices to foster a culture of learning and development.
• Represent and leverage Aqua for All’s approach in the WASH sector through engagement in WASH and Impact investment forums and conferences.
5. Budget and Financial Management
• Assume responsibility for budget management within complex programmes, ensuring fiscal discipline and adherence to financial policies and audits.
• Strategically allocate resources to optimise programme outcomes while maintaining financial sustainability. Collaborate with team members to enhance financial knowledge.
• Analytical ability: Demonstrates strong analytical skills to critically assess complex problems, analyse data, and make informed decisions, contributing to effective problem-solving and strategic planning.
• Creativity: Ability to think creatively and develop innovative partnerships and solutions to complex problems, fostering a culture of continuous improvement and fresh ideas within the organisation.
• Vision/Strategic Thinking: Capability to support the creation and articulation of a clear, long-term vision, and to develop and implement effective strategies to achieve that vision. It involves the ability to think strategically, set goals, and make decisions aligned with the overall direction of an organisation or initiative.
• Coaching leadership: Ability to guide and support team members in their work and professional development, helping them reach their full potential through constructive feedback, mentorship, and tailored support.
• Degree in a relevant field such as Civil/Water Engineering, Water Resource Management, Environmental Studies or International Development
• 10+ years of experience in WASH project or programme management, technical assistance and/or partnership development; with extensive fieldwork experience
• In depth technical understanding of WASH technologies and systems, such as safe water enterprises, market-based sanitation approaches, mobilising access to finance for WASH
• Deep knowledge of market dynamics within the WASH sector, able to conduct comprehensive market analysis from a business, sustainability and scale perspective; and develop strategies accordingly
• Strong network in the WASH sector, with the ability to build and maintain effective relationships with a diverse range of partners
• Dedication to fostering a culture of knowledge sharing, mentoring, and team development
• Willingness to travel (also to higher-risk areas)
• Working knowledge of French and English.
Salary scale CAO Rijk
Interested to apply?
If you are interested with relevant qualifications and experience, please send your application of a cover letter (max 2 pages) and CV (max 5 pages) in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For this position you need a residence or working permit for EU countries!
The deadline for applications is 18 February. Please include ‘Senior WASH Programme Manager – West Africa’ in the subject line of your email. If you have questions, more information about the position can be obtained from Sarah Kalin (email@example.com).